When you look up recipes for Chicken Adobo ou have to choose between either a Phillipino recipe or a Mexican recipe. I couldn’t choose so I decided to combine my favorite ingredients from each of them and make my own recipe.
1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced VERY thin
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 tablespoon achiote seeds
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cover achiote seeds with boiling water.
- Cover and set aside overnight.
- Drain seeds discarding water.
- Place seeds, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, cayenne, paprika, cinnamon, honey, salt, pepper and garlic in a food processor. Grind until well blended.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken on one side until light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip the chicken over and sear the other side for another 5 minutes.
- Add the onions over the chicken.
- Pour the seed mixture over chicken and heat through.
- Serve hot over rice and vegetable sides.