Shepherd’s Pie adapted from Taste of Home Everyday Light Meals
6 medium potatoes
1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 jar (12oz) fat-free beef gravy
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Peel and cube the potatoes; place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Add 1inch of water to another saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until crisp-tender, about 7-9 minutes. Drain.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots, gravy, 1/2 tsp salt, sage, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Transfer to a shallow 3qut baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drain the potatoes; mash with milk, butter and remaining salt. Spread over meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until heated through.
Fat 13g (6g sat fat)
Diabetic Exchange: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
-I used ground chicken instead of ground beef.
-I added a can of Italian styled diced tomatoes.
-I used a packaged gravy instead of a jar.
-I did not sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Slice up the carrots.
- Dice up the onion.
- Put the carrots in water to boil and soften.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown the meat.
- Cook the potatoes, drain and add the butter.
- Add the onion to the ground chicken.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the carrots.
- I decided to use a can of Italian-style diced tomatoes. Add the tomatoes and the herbs.
- Make the gravy. If using jarred gravy, skip this step.
- Add the gravy to the pot and let simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
Thank you! Scott says that it is the best thing that I have made in a long time. Hope you enjoy!!
They look mouthwatering…should try it soon..
First time here..You have lovely blog with awesome recipes…I am your new follower..Do check my blog if you have time..
Comments are closed.