2 strips bacon, cooked until crispy, crumbled, bacon fat reserved
1 small bunch green onions, diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 lemon, zested
1 (14-ounce) can wild salmon, checked for large bones
1 baked potato, peeledand grated
1/4 cup Panko crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat in a small saute pan over low heat.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent. Cool the onions for a bit.
- Mix the bacon, onion, egg, mayonnaise, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Add the salmon and potato, mixing gently after each addition.
- Form the mixture into 12 small patties.
- In a shallow dish, combine the Panko crumbs, Parmesan, and pepper, to taste.
- Coat the patties in the crumb topping.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, and cook the salmon cakes in batches until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Add more oil, as necessary.
- Arrange on a serving platter and serve.