Red Velvet Cupcakes
Yields 12 delicious cupcakes
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup salted butter, firm but not cold – just beginning to soften
1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon red food coloring
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda, set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 4 -5 minutes.
- Add in eggs one at a time stirring after each addition.
- Now stand back and add red food coloring and vanilla extract and mix until combine.
- In a small bowl combine milk and vinegar.
- Add milk mixture and flour mixture to cupcake mixture, alternating in two separate batches, mixing until combined after each addition.
- Divide batter evenly among 12 paper lined muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven 20-23 minutes until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool about 2 minutes in muffin tin, then transfer to wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to an airtight container to cool completely (this just helps them retain more moisture).
- Once cooled completely, spread generously with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup salted butter, firm but not cold (if using unsalted add 1/8 tsp salt)
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, using and electric mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese until pale and fluffy (about 1 minute on high speed, then 3-4 minutes on medium high speed).
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Frost and go wild – add nuts, sprinkles or cookie crumbs.
Yum, my very favorite!
Comments are closed.