CHICKEN WITH BAKED VEGETABLE STUFFING IN TARRAGON SAUCE**
4 large chicken breasts cut into tenders
4 + 2 tablespoons butter
2 large tomatoes
1 cup baby carrots, cut into halves
3 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
1 large bunch green onions, sliced
1 sleeve Keebler townhouse crackers, crushed
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons flour
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in skillet.
- Brown each side of chicken piece.
- While the chicken is browning, wash the tomatoes and cut the tops off. Scoop the insides out*, salt the insides and turn the tomatoes upside down to drain.
- Transfer chicken pieces to baking dish, but leave enough room for the tomatoes in the center.
- Add the carrots and Brussel sprouts and saute’ until tender.
- Transfer them to the baking dishes scattered over the chicken pieces.
- Add the broccoli, tomato pulp and green onions to the skillet and saute’ until tender.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add crackers. Fill tomato cups. Add any remaining broccoli mixture to the chicken .
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet.
- Add flour until golden.
- Add chicken broth, tarragon, salt, pepper and whipping cream.
- Bring to a boil while whisking constantly to prevent scorching.
- Add lemon juice after it boils.
- Immediately pour over the whole thing.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees.
By using the larger tomatoes you can cut them in half after baking and have a nice presentation on the plate.
*I use a grapefruit knife and it works SUPER!
**I used Brussel Sprouts tonight, but in the future will use all broccoli.