Casseroles tend to call for a can of some form of “cream of” soup. Since those soup tend to be full additives and preservatives I came up with some quick and easy substitutes that are homemade as you needed.
CREAM SOUP SUBSTITUTES
Do you hate buying canned soups for use in recipes? Do you want something healthier and less costly? These recipes make perfect substitutes for 1 can of soup.
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk or other liquid (as specified in variations)
- Melt the butter in heavy saucepan.
- Blend in flour and salt. Cook until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir or whisk in liquid.
- Return to heat and cook, constantly stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Cream of chicken: Use 1/2 c. milk and 1/2 c. chicken broth as the liquid. Add 1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning or sage.
- Cream of celery: Saute´ 1/2 c. chopped celery and 1 T. finely chopped onion in the margarine before adding flour. Use milk for liquid.
- Cream of mushroom: Saute´1/4 c. finely chopped mushrooms and 1 T. finely chopped onion in margarine before adding flour. Use milk for liquid.
- Tomato: Use tomato juice as liquid. Add a dash each of garlic salt, onion salt, basil, and oregano.
- Cheddar cheese: Use milk for liquid. Stir into the finished sauce 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 1/4 tsp. dry mustard.
- Cream of shrimp: Drain the liquid from a small can of tiny shrimp into a measuring cup. Fill cup with milk to measure 1 cup of liquid. Add a dash of pepper, onion salt, curry powder, and paprika to the finished sauce, and stir in the shrimp.
[…] Soup Substitute recipe can be found […]
[…] a pea and carrot mix. The canned soup is the ingredient I have the most issue with and use my own soup substitutes, but cream of mushroom soup is the most popular among original […]
[…] 2-3 pounds chicken thighs FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper 1 can Cream of chicken soup or soup substitute 1 cup chicken broth 1 cup white wine 1 potato per person, halved and quartered into bite size […]
Comments are closed.