WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS: This recipe works for so many reasons, but most importantly because it’s Pineapple Cherry Pie! You end up with a tart, thick gooey tasty goodness sandwiched between two layers of flaky, crispy crust.
PINEAPPLE CHERRY PIE
4 1/2 cups fresh tart cherries
1/4 cup Pineapple Brandy
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
5 tablespoons cornstarch
Your favorite pie crust or pie dough recipe for 2 crust pie
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sanding sugar
- Place butter in freezer.*
- Pit cherries and place in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in Pineapple Brandy.
- Cover and simmer until cherries begin to soften and lose their juice.
- In a mixing bowl combine the granulated sugar and cornstarch.
- Pour the cherries into the sugar and stir to blend until sugar is dissolved.
- Return cherries to pan and simmer over low heat until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Remove cherries from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Prepare your dough and divide into 2 sections.
- Place 1 section in your pie pan. **
- Pour cooled cherries into pie pan.
- Grate butter evenly on top of the cherries.
- Place top pie crust on top, fluting the edges.
- Slit top in several places for steam to escape.
- Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake 35-45 minutes until crust is golden and flaky.
- Cool on cooling rack.
NOTE 1: * Putting the butter in the freezer makes it solid enough to grate.
NOTE 2: ** I love my air cool perforated pan. I just wrap the bottom with foil in case any juice gets out.