I found this recipe in a pile of grams old recipe pamphlets and it sounded so easy to update while still being really tasty. I made beef today, but will make chicken next time and add celery, onions and carrots to make it more like Inside Out Chicken Pot Pies.
CHICKEN or BEEF SHORTCAKES makes 8
3 cups rotisserie chicken pieces* OR beef rib eye cubes
8 warm biscuits (made from scratch or Pillsbury canned)
1 quart chicken or beef broth
1/3 cup butter
scant 3/4 cup flour
FRESH ground salt and pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan bring all but 1/2 cup of the chicken broth to a boil.
- In a separate small saucepan melt butter.
- Add flour and whisk until golden.
- Add in reserved broth and whisk until well blended making a roux.
- Slowly add roux to broth and combine well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken, salt and pepper to taste, stirring to coat chicken well and heat through.
- Split biscuits in half.
- Ladle chicken mixture onto biscuit and replace top.
NOTE: *I usually buy a rotisserie chicken each week at Costco to eat off of so always seem to have one around for quick recipes like this.