SPINACH STRAWBERRY SALAD with POPPY SEED DRESSING
3-4 cups baby spinach, washed and spun
2 cups torn romaine hearts, washed and spun
1 quart strawberries, hulled and large chopped
1/2 red onion, halved and sliced thin
1/2 cup chopped candied walnuts
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
FRESH ground salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup avocado oil
- Whisk together the vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour half of the vinegar into a microwave safe bowl and microwave 1 minute.
- Add onion, toss to combine and let sit 30 minutes.
- While onions marinade, toast the poppy seeds in a non-stick skillet until fragrant and darkened.
- Whisk oil into remaining vinegar mixture.
- Add FRESH ground salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large salad bowl combine spinach leaves, romaine pieces, strawberry pieces and candied walnuts.
- Remove onion from vinegar mixture and add to salad bowl, gently tossing to disperse.
- Whisk onion marinade back into the vinegar mixture.
- Drizzle over salad,
- Plate salad and top with more walnuts if desired.