Somehow between picture 1 and picture 2 my camera broke a spring in my lens and now we’re on the hunt for a new camera. We found an upgraded model that has the new necessary lens as well as a different long lens so hubby and I will both have camera bodies, but it is going on a Thanksgiving special for A LOT off so we’re waiting to buy it! So these pictures aren’t the best quality for today.
SLOW COOKER CRUSTLESS SHEPHERD’S PIE
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1/4 cup flour
FRESH ground salt and black pepper, to taste
2 cups diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 can Green Giant white shoe peg corn
2 tablespoons COLD unsalted butter, diced
1 can cream of mushrooms soup or 1 1/3 cup soup substitute + 1tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Spray the inside of the crock pot with non-stick spray.
- Brown the ground beef and onion together until there is no more pink.
- Drain off grease.
- Add to crock pot in an even layer.
- Top with celery and carrot pieces.
- Combine water and milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in cream of tartar until smooth.
- Add potato slices to milk mixture, coating well. This will prevent browning while slow cooking.
- Drain potato slices REALLY WELL.
- Evenly arrange potato slices over the carrots and celery.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, pepper and half the cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle the flour cheese mixture over the potato slices evenly.
- Dot with the diced butter.
- Whisk together the soup and 1 tablespoon milk.
- Spread soup mixture evenly over top of everything.
- Cook on low 5 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese and cook another 20 minutes until melted and gooey.
- Garnish with chives.
- Cut and serve.
NOTES: Canned green beans or frozen peas make a great substitution and/or addition for the corn.