BBQ APRICOT PINEAPPLE CHICKEN adapted from Carrie at Northwoods Scrapbook
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)
1 tablespoon minced Fresno chile, seeds removed (1 chile)
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
13 ounce jar apricot-pineapple jam
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (1 large orange)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup jalapeño ketchup
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the chile and garlic; cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the jam; cooking until the jam melts, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Add the orange juice and cider vinegar, bring to a simmer.
- Add the ketchup, honey and Worcestershire.
- Adjust the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove 1 cup for basting the chicken; reserve the rest for serving.
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon each FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
16 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a small bowl, stir together the smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Pat dry chicken breasts.
- Coat chicken breasts on both sides with avocado oil.
- Generously sprinkle both sides with seasoning mix.
- Place the chicken thighs on two foil-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through, 35 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil.
- Generously baste the chicken pieces with BBQ sauce and broil until the sauce has caramelized and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove to a platter, let rest for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle the chicken with parsley.
- Serve with the reserved BBQ sauce.