One of the wonderful things about living near the coast is FRESH seafood!! Start with steamed clams and mix them with the veggies and seasoned crumbs. They bake to perfection every time!
NEW ENGLAND STYLE BAKED STUFFED CLAMS
8 LARGE quahogs or cherry stone clams
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 Vidalia onion, finely diced
1 LARGE clove garlic, minced
1/4 red pepper, finely diced
1 cup FRESH seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons finely minced FRESH parsley
Juice of 2 lemons, divided
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
1/8 teaspoon sweet Paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Wash the clams free of any grit.
- Steam clams in around 1 inch of boiling water until they open up, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove clams from the water (reserve a couple tablespoons of clam water).
- Allow the clams to cool before taking them out of the shell – if the “foot” gets stuck, don’t worry about it since it’s not as tender anyway.
- Split the shells open and keep 8 of them for stuffing.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium high heat until onion is soft.
- Add the garlic and peppers cooking another minute before adding the breadcrumbs. Add the bread crumbs and blend well.
- Add parsley, 1/2 of the lemon juice, Parmesan and paprika mixing well.
- Add a tablespoon or two of the clam water to bind the mixture. Divide the mixture between the 8 shells you held back and press it so it holds together.
- Put them in a baking dish and bake for about 20 minutes until they gently brown on top.
- Drizzle with lemon juice just before serving.
- If clams don’t open on steaming, don’t use them, this means they were already dead.
- When I make the bread crumbs I start with 2-3 slices of buttered sourdough sprinkled with lemon pepper, baked to toast in the oven and then ground in a food processor.