MONGOLIAN BEEF serves 6
2 pounds flank steak, sliced into thin strips across the grain
1/3 cup cornstarch
2-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic
3/4 cup soy sauce (I used low sodium)
1 cup water
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
1 cup shredded or julienned carrots
Sliced green onions and sesame seeds, for garnish
Cooked white rice
- Place flank steak strips in a 1 gallon resealable bag.
- Add cornstarch, seal bag and shake to coat evenly.
- In a medium bowl, add ginger root, garlic, soy sauce, water, brown sugar and Hoisin sauce stirring well to combine.
- Set your Instant Pot to the saute setting.
- Add olive oil.
- When olive oil is heated, add beef and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour mixture over beef and stir to combine.
- Add carrots and stir again.
- Turn Instant Pot off.
- Place the lid on and lock.
- Steam release knob should be set on “sealing”.
- Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 10 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and stir.
- Serve over cooked white rice and top with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.