This is yet another version of my grams old recipe.
1 1/4 – 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
1/3 cup seasoned flour
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups minute rice (white or brown)
1 bunch green onions, sliced
4 large mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- In a large skillet, heat butter until sizzling over medium-high heat.
- Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour.
- Quick sear chicken pieces for 1-2 minutes on each side, set aside.
- Add onions to butter in skillet and saute’ until beginning to soften.
- Add mushrooms and saute’ a minute or so more.
- Whisk together the soup and broth. Add to skillet and stir well.
- Stir in rice.
- Season to taste.
- Add the majority of the rice mixture to a greased shallow baking dish.
- Layer chicken on top in a single layer.
- Top with remaining rice mixture.
- Cover and bake 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender.
NOTES: Sometime I add chopped carrots, garlic and bacon pieces. If I add the bacon I cook it first and trade out some of the bacon grease for the butter to add in the flavor.