I make this recipe in these cute little cast iron saute pans for the PERFECT individual servings. This recipe is one that you can easily make in advance (for the most part) and then finish up right before you eat! 😀 Or it can be made in a large casserole for a group.
HOLIDAY SCALLOPED POTATOES
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large shallot, sliced thin
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and chopped
3 LARGE russet potatoes
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup WHOLE milk
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 1/4 cup shredded cheese (combination of Gruyere and Cheddar)
Bacon crumbles, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease 9 inch baking dish or the ramekins.
- Peel potatoes. Halve and slice in 1/8 inch pieces.
- In a large saute pan or dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add shallots, cooking 4-5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add garlic, cooking 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Whisk in heavy cream, milk, thyme, FRESH ground sea salt and pepper.
- Fold in potatoes, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes until potatoes are JUST fork tender.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Transfer half the potato mixture to prepared baking dish or individual ramekins.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the top.
- Add remaining potato mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes until bubbling around the edges and top is golden. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with bacon crumbles. (optional)
NOTE: IF MAKING IN ADVANCE cover with saran without baking and refrigerate until ready to bake. Remove from refrigerator 20 minutes before you want to bake it. Uncover and bake. 😀 The time it sat waiting only enhances the flavors and makes the potatoes even creamier!
Leave a reply