LEMON POPPY SEED BLUEBERRY SWEET ROLLS
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
the zest of one lemon
1 cup FRESH small wild blueberries or defrosted frozen berries
- Combine sugar, and salt in bowl.
- Stir in melted butter, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Set aside while you prepare the dough.
1 1/4 cup whole milk, divided
4 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
2 tablespoons granulated sugar; divided
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon poppyseeds
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Butter a cast iron baker or basking dish.
- In a small heat proof bowl heat ¼ cup of the milk in the microwave until 110 degrees (about 15 to 20 seconds).
- Stir in yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar and let sit until bubbly.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, poppy seeds and remaining 5 teaspoons of sugar together in large bowl.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons butter, yeast mixture, and remaining 1 cup of milk until dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a floured counter and knead until smooth ball forms, about 2 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 12 by 9 inch rectangle, with long side parallel to counter edge.
- Brush dough all over with 2 tablespoons melted butter, leaving ½-inch border on far edge.
- Sprinkle dough evenly with filling, then press filling firmly into dough.
- Loosen dough from counter and roll away from you into a tight log and pinch seam to seal.
- Roll log seam side down and cut into 8 equal pieces.
- Stand buns on end and gently re-form ends that were pinched during cutting.
- Place 1 bun in center of prepared pan and others around perimeter of pan, seam sides facing in.
- Brush the tops of the buns with remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Cover buns loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- After rising, bake buns until edges are well browned, 23 to 25 minutes.
Loosen buns from sides of pan with paring knife and let cool for 5 minutes.
LEMON CREAM CHEESE ICING GLAZE
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter, softened
Juice of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup powdered sugar
pinch of salt
*More lemon zest for topping
- Mix together softened cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add lemon juice, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and salt and mix until combine.
- Pour glaze evenly over tops of buns, spreading with spatula to cover.