PAN SEARED CHICKEN with CREAMY TOMATO BASIL SPINACH CREAM SAUCE
Boneless skinless chicken thighs smothered in an easy-to-make creamy tomato basil and spinach sauce.
1 tablespoon avocado oil
4-6 LARGE boneless, skinless chicken thin breasts
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons WONDRA flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons tomato pesto (Barilla or Classico)
1 cup tomato sauce
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves
4-6 leaves fresh basil, chiffonaded
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsely
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet heat avocado oil over medium heat.
- Generously season chicken thighs with FRESH ground salt and pepper.
- Dredge in 1/4 cup WONDRA flour.
- Add to hot oil and cook for 2 minutes until the top side is nicely seared.
- Flip over to the other side and sear for 2 more minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet to a plate and keep warm.
- Add garlic to pan and cook 30 seconds or so until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, tomato pesto, tomato paste and heavy cream to skillet.
- Bring to a SLOW boil, stirring regularly.
- Reduce heat to low simmer.
- Taste the sauce and add more salt and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and whisk together with 2 tablespoons of reserved flour dredge until smooth.
- Whisk into sauce until smooth.
- Add fresh spinach, parsley and fresh basil, stirring until spinach wilts and reduces in volume.
- Add chicken to sauce, turning to coat, increasing heat to medium for a minute or 2 to reheat chicken.
- Serve over pasta and spoon the sauce over the pasta and chicken.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.