SLOPPY JOE CORNBREAD CASSEROLE Serves 10-12
This recipe is sweet, yet tangy and pleases everyone. It’s also good in ANY season and super simple to throw together!
1 box JIFFY corn muffin mix
1/2 + 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup WHOLE milk
1 LARGE egg
1 small can green chiles, WELL drained
14.75 ounces cream-style corn 1 can
24 ounce can sloppy joe sauce or homemade, divided
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 sweet onion, diced
Grated Cotija cheese
1/4 cup diced green onions
sour cream dollops
- Heat the oven to 400°.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the cornbread mix, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, milk, egg, green chiles and canned corn stirring until combined.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 15 minutes or until just set.
- Heat butter in large skillet and add onion and pepper, sauteing until soft.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook through.
- Drain the fat.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of the sloppy joe sauce to the pan with the meat to warm.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven and use a fork to prick holes over the cornbread.
- Pour the remaining sloppy joe sauce over the cornbread.
- Spoon the meat sauce over the baked cornbread and top with 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Top with the green onions, cotija cheese and a dollop of sour cream before serving.