This recipe is one that is so versatile that it can feel like you are eating separate dishes on the same night. Hubby doesn’t do cooked mushrooms. I don’t do capers or olives. So, I make the red part of the sauce and then split it in half and prepare each half with the items we like individually. 😀
UPDATED CHICKEN CACCIATORE
6 BONELESS, SKINLESS chicken chicken steaks
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1/3 cup WONDRA all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 pound sliced cremini mushrooms (optional)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, THINLY sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon FRESH and FINELY chopped oregano
1 teaspoon FRESH and FINELY chopped rosemary or thyme
One 28-ounce CRUSHED whole tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped black olives
2 tablespoons drained capers, chopped
1/4 cup torn FRESH basil leaves
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, then toss them in a bowl with the flour to lightly coat.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large, wide pot over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the pot and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened and the mushrooms are lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and peppers, stirring, until the peppers are just starting to soften, about 1 minute.
- Add the wine and bring to a boil, then cook, scraping up any brown bits, until reduced by about half.
- Add the oregano and rosemary or thyme.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice and bring to a simmer.
- Add the olives and capers.
- Return the chicken to the pot, nestling in the sauce.
- Reduce the heat to keep the sauce at a gentle simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the basil.
- Serve immediately.