This easy, full of flavor, rich and creamy potato soup recipe is truly the best! It’s quick and easy and always so cozy and deliciously comforting.
CREAM OF POTATO SOUP
6 slices bacon, diced
3 tablespoons bacon grease
1 LARGE sweet onion, diced
1 1/2 cups chopped red, orange and/or yellow peppers
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup WONDRA flour
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups WHOLE milk, warmed
1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, diced
1 cup shredded SHARP cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, or to taste
Thinly-sliced green onions or chives
extra shredded cheese
A dollop of sour cream
- Sauté bacon in a dutch oven until well rendered and crispy.
- Transfer bacon pieces to a plate lined with paper towels.
- To the reserved bacon grease sauce the onions until softened.
- Add pepper pieces and sauté a couple minutes more.
- Add garlic and saute’ until fragrant.
- Stir in flour until smooth to create your roux.
- Stir in milk and chicken broth, bringing to a SLOW simmer.
- Add in potatoes, cooking and stirring often 20-30 minutes until potatoes are softened and tender. The smaller diced your potatoes are, the faster your soup will cook.
- Taste and season to taste with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Fold in chicken pieces.
- Stir in cheese, sour cream and crispy bacon pieces.
- Serve warm with desired garnishes.
This soup makes an AWESOME base for all sorts of flavor variations! Just add 1 tablespoon of your favorite flavor of seasoning.
Some of my favorites are:
- ITALIAN seasoning blend or FRESH chopped Basil, Parsley, Oregano
- TEX-MEX seasoning blend or FRESH chopped jalapeno or similar type pepper
- CAJUN – I like SLAP YOUR MAMA and/or chopped Okra
- Or make it LOADED with sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped green onions
Or add in your favorite veggies!
Changing up the type of potatoes is another way of amping the flavor – try sweet potatoes or baking the potatoes first.
- I only use center cut bacon for ALL recipes because it has less fat, cooks up nice and evenly and usually tastes the best too!
- I also use WONDRA for my flour because it is much finer so it makes a much smoother roux and creamier soup base.