MISO CARAMEL APPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons white miso paste
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 sticks +3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
2 cups self-rising flour
2/3 cup almond meal
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 LARGE eggs
1/2 cup milk
- Preheat 350°.
- Grease a 9 inch square spring form pan.
- Wrap pan bottom with foil to prevent spillage. Set aside.
- In a saucepan combine 1 1/4 cup sugar with 1/3 cup water and stir constantly over low heat until sugar dissolved.
- Bring to a SLOW boil, without stirring for 6-8 minutes until golden in color.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine miso paste and 1 1/2 tablespoons water in a small bowl until smooth.
- Add miso paste mixture to caramel.
- Pour caramel evenly over cake pan base.
- Arrange apple slices in overlapping layers.
- Beat butter, vanilla and and remaining sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, almond meal and salt beating on low speed JUST until combined.
- Add eggs and milk, beating on low speed until smooth and combined.
- Spoon over apples and smooth the surface.
- Bake cake 40 minutes.
- Cover with foil and bake another 20 minutes until tester comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge and release spring form pan.
- Turn cake out onto platter. If necessary use a large offset spatula to release cake top from pan bottom.
Leave a reply