Buttery almond shortbread with a layer of gooey caramel and a thick layer of chocolate – who could say no to a piece?
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped, toasted slivered almonds
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk** (see note)
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup QUALITY, PURE honey
3/4 cup heavy cream, divided ½ + ¼
2 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 ounces semi sweet chocolate, chopped
Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon), for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang all long sides.
- Lightly grease foil. Beat powdered sugar and 3/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add almonds, flour, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt just until combined.
- Press on bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 28 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine condensed milk, brown sugar, honey, 1/2 cup cream, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup butter in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly 24-26 minutes, until a candy thermometer reaches 236°F.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Immediately pour caramel over shortbread.
- Let stand at room temperature until set, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Microwave chocolate and remaining 1/4 cup cream in a bowl 30 seconds; stir.
- Continue to microwave and stir in 10-second intervals until melted.
- Pour melted chocolate over caramel and spread with an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Freeze 15-20 minutes until set.
- Use foil overhangs to lift bars from pan.
- Cut into squares.
- Store, refrigerated, in an airtight container up to 1 week.
**NOTE: Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk now comes in an easy to use squeeze bottle, but it’s difficult to get it all out no matter what you do. Squeeze out as much as you can and then funnel your heavy cream into the bottle and shake extremely well. This will help remove the remaining sweetened condensed milk easily.