This is a SUPER easy to use with other meats and/or make sweet instead of savory. Thanks Molly! 😀
NO KNEAD BREAD
Level: Easy Active: 30 min Yield: 6 servings
Total: 16 hr 50 min (includes overnight rising and cooling time)
3 cups (400 grams) bread flour, plus more for dusting
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/3 cups (320 grams) water
8 ounces Genoa salami, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
Butter, for serving, if desired
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and yeast.
- Add the water and stir with a stiff silicone spatula until combined and there are no longer bits of flour, 20 to 30 seconds. (It will be very sticky.)
- Cover with saran and let sit on the counter at room temperature overnight, 12 to 18 hours.
- Remove saran. It will have a funky, fermented aroma and bubbles.
- Sprinkle one-third of the salami and chives over the top.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the outside of the dough over the salami to cover.
- Repeat this process two more times until all of the salami and chives are folded in.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on the counter and sprinkle with an even layer of 1/4 cup flour to cover the surface.
- Scrape the dough onto the floured parchment and use heavily-floured hands to shape it into a roundish blob.
- Press in any exposed salami bits and pinch the dough to seal.
- Sprinkle the top with another layer of flour and cover with a piece of saran.
- Let sit until the dough has risen by half, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Place an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 450°.
- Place a 3-4 quart lidded Dutch oven on the rack and allow to heat while the oven reaches the desired temperature.
- When the dough has proofed, carefully remove the Dutch oven from the oven and remove the lid.
- Remove the saran from the bread and using the corners of the parchment lower the bread dough into the Dutch oven parchment and all.
- Cover the Dutch oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid, then bake until the top is golden brown and crusty, another 10 to 20 minutes.
- Let it cool on a rack for about an hour, then slice and serve with butter if desired.