CREOLE STYLE CHICKEN AND RICE
2 1/2 pounds chicken pieces – drumsticks, thighs etc…
1 tablespoon SLAP YO MAMA seasoning
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 can Progresso hearty tomato basil soup
4 tablespoons red pepper jelly
1 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock
1 cup uncooked rice
1 can Trappey’s seasoned black eyed peas, drained
1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Generously season chicken pieces with creole sesoning, FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- In a large bowl whisk together 1/2 cup of the soup and 2 tablespoons of the jelly.
- Add chicken pieces and toss to coat well.
- Cover and chill 2-3 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade.
- Coat large heat proof saute pan with non-stick baking spray and heat over medium flame.
- Add chicken and brown 8-10 minutes or so on all sides, turning often.
- Remove chicken and wipe pan clean.
- Add chicken broth and remaining soup to pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add rice and chicken.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 25 minutes until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to platter.
- Add beans to rice mixture, cooking 3-5 minutes until heated through.
- Nestle chicken back into rice and bean mixture.
- Brush chicken with remaining jelly.
- Broil 2-3 minutes to brown and glaze chicken.