CARAMELIZED BALSAMIC ONIONS serves 4
As the onions cook, the balsamic mixture becomes syrupy and caramelizes the onions, giving them a bronzed caramel color and a luscious, rich flavor.
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon avocado oil
⅓ cup QUALITY balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons homemade bone chicken broth or dry white wine
1 tablespoon sugar
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 1/2 pounds medium yellow onions
1 bunch FRESH thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine butter and avocado oil in rectangular baking dish.
- Whisk in vinegar, wine or broth, sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside. Peel off papery outer layers of onions, but do not cut off either end.
- Cut onions in half from stem through root end.
- Place onions in dish, cut-sides up.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and using tongs, carefully turn onions over to cut-sides down.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes longer or until onions are tender and balsamic mixture is thick and caramelized.
- Serve cut-sides up.
- Sprinkle with FRESH thyme.
NOTES: To make ahead: Prepare onions as directed. Cool, cover, and chill overnight. To reheat, preheat oven to 325°. Bake, covered, 40 minutes or until warmed through.