CHOCOLATE SNAPS yield 2 dozen cookies
Adapted only slightly from Cook’s Country
With crisp edges, chewy centers and crunchy sugary crackled tops these cookies are always a hit, but never more so than at holiday time.
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled (168 grams)
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (230 grams)
3/4 cup Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar (300 grams)
1 tablespoon PURE vanilla extract
1 LARGE egg plus 1 LARGE egg yolk
1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or SILPAT mats.
- Melt your butter and allow it to cool.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a bowl.
- Whisk together brown sugar, vanilla, and melted butter until no lumps remain, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Whisk in whole egg and egg yolk until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture JUST until combined.
- Layer granulated sugar in a shallow bowl; set aside.
- Roll 2 tablespoons dough at a time into cookie balls.
- Roll each cookie ball in the granulated sugar to coat.
- Arrange dough balls evenly on prepared sheets.
- Press each ball flat until they are 2 inches in diameter.
- Evenly sprinkle remaining granulated sugar over cookies.
- Bake 15 minutes – 1 sheet at a time – until cookies are slightly puffy and edges have begun to set (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem undone AND THAT’S OKAY), rotate sheet halfway through baking time.
- Let cookies cool on sheet for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack.
- Let cookies cool completely.