Quick and easy crispy chicken in a light and tasty lemon sauce! The wetter batter creates a coating that fries up SUPER CRISPY in the oil. Coat it with the sweet and sour lemon sauce for PURE perfection.
CRISPY LEMON CHICKEN
1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
1 LARGE egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons Peanut or Avocado oil
1/4 cup homemade chicken broth
1/4 cup FRESH lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
2 tablespoons QUALITY honey
2 tablespoons Bragg’s liquid aminos
2 cloves garlic, FINELY minced
1 tablespoon ginger, grated
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Prepared rice of choice
2 green onions, sliced for garnish
- Whisk together the egg and 1/2 cup cornstarch until well blended
- Add chicken and toss until evenly coated. Set aside for 10 minutes. I often use a large ziploc bag to make less of a mess.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken, stirring frequently 5-7 minutes to keep pieces separate and cooked on all sides until golden brown.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside, reserving the leftover oil in the pan.
- Whisk together the chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, Braggs liquid aminos, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and remaining corn starch.
- Add chicken broth mixture to pan, whisking and cooking until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
- Whisk in sesame oil.
- Plate chicken over rice and drizzle sauce over chicken pieces OR toss in sauce before plating.
- Add green onions and enjoy!
- If you prefer a sweeter lemon sauce, increase the honey to 4+ tablespoons.
- Omit the red pepper flakes for no spice or use more for more heat.
- Add a vegetable – diced bell pepper, snap peas, etc… for a healthier option.