This is a wonderful recipe that I found when my friend lent me her mom and grandma’s recipe boxes to go through. It has SOOOO MUCH flavor and has quickly become a favorite way to prepare beans. She thought it was her mom Maxine’s recipe, but when I showed her the recipe she said the writing was too neat, so we’ll never know.
SWEET & SOUR BEANS
1 tablespoon butter
2 cans great northern/Cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
2 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 LARGE shallot or SMALL onion, chopped small
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup homemade chicken broth
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 small can chopped green chiles, drained WELL
- Melt butter in small skillet.
- Add shallots/onions, sauteing until tender.
- Add vinegar, brown sugar and chicken stock, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add beans and green chiles, stirring to coat well.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Fold in bacon JUST before serving.