RECONSTRUCTED GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE with TOASTED COCONUT MOCHA BUTTERCREAM ICING
4 ounces German Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup water
4 eggs, separated
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray pan(s) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Microwave chocolate and water in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after every 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl with mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition.
- Add egg whites; stirring gently until well blended. Pour into prepared pans.
- BAKE 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Immediately run small spatula around cakes in pans.
- Cool cakes in pans 10-15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Cream butter.
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time to the butter and bled well.
- Add vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Microwave chocolate on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after every 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Add chocolate to sugar mixture, blending well.
- Add milk until desired consistency.
- Fold in 1/4 cup toasted coconut to icing.
- Ice cake and top with remaining toasted coconut.
- Just before serving pour a bit of warm Caramel on top,
**If making a 2-3 layers cake double the icing so you have enough for between layers and on the sides.