This same recipe works well with a chuck roast!
PEANUT BUTTER ROOT BEER BEEF STEW
3 tablespoons avocado oil
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 large onion, diced
3-4 good sized cloves garlic, minced
12 ounces root beer
3½ cups beef broth
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons Whiskey Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon paprika
8 new potatoes, quartered
4 carrots, sliced
1 small stalk celery or fennel for added flavor, sliced
1/3 cup Wondra flour
Finely chopped fresh Parsely – garnish
- In a large ziploc bag sift together the flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Toss beef in flour mixture until well coated. Save flour!
- Over medium-high heat, Heat oil in large Dutch oven.
- In a single layer brown meat on all sides, working in batches if necessary.
- Remove to medium bowl and toss with peanut butter until well coated. Set aside.
- Add onion and celery (fennel) to Dutch oven and reduce heat to low, cooking until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute more.
- Pour in root beer, beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, paprika, ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 1½ to 2 hours until meat is tender.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots, simmering until vegetables are tender and meat is falling apart, 45 minutes or so.
- Remove 1 cup of liquid from pot and slowly whisk in leftover dredging flour.
- Slowly stir flour mixture back into pot and bring to a SLOW boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
NOTE: To make this in the crock pot, brown beef. Add beef and all other ingredients, except flour to crock pot. Cook on low for 10-12 hours, or on high for 4-6. Remove 1 cup of liquid and slowly add flour. Slowly stir four mixture back into crock pot. Cook on high for 15-20 minutes, or until thickened.
CHEDDAR GRITS SOUFFLE’
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup Quick Grits
3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 tablespoons milk
2 medium eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat individual ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine water, and salt in large sauce pan bringing it to a SLOW boil.
- Stir in grits gradually.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Add most of the cheese and butter, stirring until melted and well blended.
- Add milk, eggs, peppers, mixing well.
- Pour into prepared ramekins.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes or until set and golden brown.
- Garnish with a little grated cheddar cheese.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.