A batch of homemade bread is a necessary evil for any holiday feast. These rolls are buttery and golden and just plain delicious!
BUTTERMILK ROLLS makes 24 rolls
1/2 cup warm water
2 envelopes active dry yeast 1/4 ounce each)
6 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
2 LARGE eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk (NOT low-fat)
1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
4 + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided and melted
3 1/2 + 4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
Flaky Sea Salt
- Combine warm water, heat and 1 teaspoon of sugar, set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes or so.
- In a medium bowl stir together eggs, buttermilk, kosher salt, 4 tablespoons butter, and remaining sugar until well blended.
- Add yeast mixture and 3 1/2 cups of the flour, stirring until dough forms.
- Sprinkle for surface with remaining flour.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead until slightly elastic. Add addictional flour as necessary.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turning to coat dough.
- Cover with saran and chill at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Grease 2 – 12 cups muffin tins.
- Punch chilled dough down and turn out onto a floured surface.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll one half of the dough to a 12×16 rectangle 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Gently roll each piece into a round and place in muffin tins.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough until all rolls are ready for baking.
- Brush again with any remaining melted butter.
- Cover with a cheesecloth towel and let rise in a warm place 1-1 1/2 hours until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake rolls 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Brush again with butter and transfer to cooling rack for 15-20 minutes