9 times out of 10 I make our salad dressings from scratch. The basic base formula for non-cream dressings is one part acid, such as citric juice from lemon, lime, orange or a vinegar like apple cider, champagne or balsamic to 2 parts oil, olive, walnut or avocado plus seasonings of choice. Then there are dressings that need seriously dressed up with flavor like this one! This makes a creamy thick dressing full of flavor that coats everything!
AVOCADO RANCH SALAD DRESSING – makes 1 1/2 cups
1 cup cashew cream (mayo works too)
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
Juice of 1 LARGE lemon
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped dill
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped chives
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
PINCH smoked paprika
- Whisk all together well.
- Chill well.
CASHEW CREAM makes 2 cups
1 1/2 cups raw unsalted cashews
3/4 cup filtered water, plus more for soaking
juice of 1 LARGE lemon
1/2 – 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the cashews in a bowl and fill with filtered water at least an inch above the cashews.
- Allow the cashews to soak for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Drain and rinse the cashews well.
- Place the cashews, filtered water, lemon juice, and salt in a high powered blender or food processor.
- Blend until desired consistency.
NOTES: Your cashew cream will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and can be frozen for up to 6 months. If you choose to freeze it be sure to run it through the blender really quick after you defrost it to eliminate any lumps.