I found this recipe for BANANA UPSIDE DOWN CAKE over at TrickNTreat. I love banana in any type of cake, but this recipe takes bananas to a whole other level. The caramel topping is truly the “icing” on the cake! I added a small amount of cinnamon to help enhance the flavors.
BANANA UPSIDE DOWN CAKE Yield 8 servings
3 small VERY RIPE bananas, cut lengthwise
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup brown sugar
- Melt butter in a skillet, remove from heat and add brown sugar, stir until sugar is melted.
- Pour butter mixture onto 8 in pan, arrange banana, cut into 2 lengthwise on top of sugar mixture.
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup milk
2 VERY RIPE bananas mashed
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon QUALITY cinnamon
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla
8 tablespoons butter
1 LARGE egg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish or a loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Sift flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking powder.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add salt, vanilla and egg.
- Fold in half of the flour, mixing well.
- Add mashed banana, milk and remaining flour, stirring until well incorporated.
- Spoon batter over sliced banana topping and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert into a serving plate and serve.
NOTE: IF you prefer a different look, the bananas can be cut into chunks or rounds instead of lengthwise. I PREFER a lot of small rounds myself.
While I’m glad I tried this recipe and it was good, I really prefer my regular Banana Nut Bread.