This is an oldie, but goodie right out of the grandma archive of recipes. I bet most of you have the ingredients right in your pantry. The pineapple cooks up through the cracker crumbs and bonds with the cheese creating a ‘stuffing’ like texture.
BAKED PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE
2 large cans crushed pineapple DO NOT DRAIN
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups Ritz cracker crumbs* (see note)
6 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small saucepan combine pineapple, juice and sugar, whisking until sugar is dissolved and pineapple is heated through. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl use a fork to combine cracker crumbs and melted butter until well combined. Set aside.
- In baking dish or individual ramekins evenly layer the pineapple mixture.
- Top that with an even layer of the cracker crumb mixture.
- Evenly top with shredded cheese.
- Top with nuts, if using.
- Bake uncovered 20 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
*NOTE: Keebler club crackers can be substituted, but it does alter the flavor a bit. You do need a cracker with a bit of a buttery flavor to them.