ITALIAN MEATBALLS in RUSTIC TOMATO SAUCE
1/2 pound ground sirloin
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 SMALL onion, FINELY chopped
2 LARGE cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons avocado oil
- In a large bowl mix together ground meats, seasonings, chopped onion and garlic until well blended.
- Form into golf ball sized meatballs.
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Sear meatballs, turning often, until browned.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
SLOW ROASTED TOMATOES & RUSTIC TOMATO SAUCE
SLOW ROASTED TOMATOES
2-3 pounds FRESH Roma or cherry tomatoes, chopped rustic
1/4 cup chopped FRESH flat leaf Parsley
2 tablespoons chopped FRESH oregano
2 tablespoons chopped FRESH basil
1 bulb garlic, sliced
1 small red onion, chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Cover large baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange tomatoes, onions and garlic in a single layer.
- Drizzle with avocado oil.
- Season well with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 3 hours until tomatoes are shriveled and soft.
- Cool completely.
RUSTIC TOMATO SAUCE
Pureed Slow Roasted Tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
- Puree tomato mixture before running through a food mill to remove seeds and large chunks.
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add chicken broth and pureed tomatoes.
- Bring to a SLOW simmer for 40 minutes.
- Whisk in heavy cream and simmer 5-10 minutes more.