Every now and then I crave an old fashioned roast chicken, you know, like grandma used to make. Well, that’s easier said than done. Do you know how hard it is to find a decently priced WHOLE chicken these days? A few weeks ago my butcher actually had some gorgeous whole chickens and they were priced reasonably too.
PARSLEY, SAGE, ROSEMARY & THYME ROAST CHICKEN
4 pound WHOLE chicken
6 tablespoons avocado oil (or other neutral flavored oil)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons FRESH chopped Italian Parsley
2 tablespoons FRESH chopped thyme leaves
2 tablespoons FRESH chopped Rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped sage
1 LARGE lemon, quartered
1 bulb garlic, cloved
1 Vidalia onion, peeled and cut into wedges
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into rustic chunks
2 pounds baby Yukon potatoes, halved
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Whisk the chopped herbs into 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Rub chicken inside and out with herb oil mixture.
- Place lemon pieces and garlic cloves into the chicken cavity.
- Tie legs together with kitchen twine.
- Roast and baste every 30 minutes for the first hour.
- Add veggies at the beginning of the second hour.
- Whisk FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper into remaining oil and toss with onions, carrots and potatoes.
- Baste ever 20 minutes for the next two hours or until chicken is cooked through and the skin is a crisp golden brown.
- Rest 10 minutes before carving.