1 can hominy, drained and chopped small
2 cans Rotel original tomatoes
10 ounce can Ortega green enchilada sauce
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 large Vidalia onion, diced
3 teaspoons minced garlic, jar
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken**
The recipe made with these ingredients makes a fairly thick stew. To make it as a soup add 2-3 cups of chicken broth.
- Combine the hominy, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, carrots, onion and cumin in a stockpot over a very low heat and mix well. A crock pot works well too!
- Add chicken.
- Cover and cook on high 3+ hours until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Stir chicken back into soup.
- Serve with fresh chopped cilamtro, lime wedges, tortilla chips, warm flour tortillas or fresh chile corn bread.
**I like to substitute the shredded chicken pieces I have frozen from when I buy rotisserie chickens 2 for 1 at my local store and portion them for quick meals. That way I can make this recipe quickly on a week night too.