I love carrot cake. If you asked me what I wanted for my birthday cake I would say Carrot Cake! So when we found this cute little diner, Babycakes Cafe, recently and they had carrot cake pancakes on the menu I had to give them a try. And then I had to duplicate them. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!
So I started with my basic pancake recipe and added lots of carrots and spices. Their cream cheese syrup at the restaurant was really more like a glaze, so I used maple syrup as my liquid ingredient to make an actual syrup and like it even better!
CARROT CAKE PANCAKES & CREAM CHEESE SYRUP
1 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups buttermilk
2 JUMBO eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup carrot (very finely grated)
4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
4-6 tablespoons maple syrup (use enough for desired consistency)
powdered sugar to taste
crushed pecans or walnuts
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the milk, egg, sugar and carrot in another bowl.
- Mix together the wet and dry ingredients making sure to not over mix them.
- Heat a griddle and melt some butter on it to coat.
- Pour 1/3-1/4 cup of the mixture onto the griddle for each pancake and heat until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- Blend together the cream cheese and maple syrup and add powdered sugar to get desired sweetness.
- Pour the cream cheese onto the pancakes.
- Sprinkle with crushed nuts.