Grams made this as a broccoli casserole for years and I recently converted it to include carrots (I love the color combo) and removed the yucky for you condensed soup.
RITZY CARROT & BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
4 medium carrots
2/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons butter
- Wash, peel and slice carrots diagonally.
- In a saucepan combine the water, salt and sugar.
- Add carrots. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat to simmer and cook until JUST tender crisp.
- Toss with butter and cinnamon.
6 broccoli crowns, washed and trimmed into 2 inch pieces (stalks also)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Jumbo egg
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons butter
1 1/3 cups ritz cracker crumbs**
4 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook broccoli in boiling, salted water or steam until JUST tender.
- Drain well, cool slightly and toss with carrots and onions.
- Layer into a greased 9×9 baking dish.
- Top with cracker crumbs.
- Melt butter in bottom of saucepan. Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, mayonnaise and egg, whisking until smooth.
- Pour over broccoli mixture.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes.
- Top with cheese and bake uncovered an additional 10 minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
**I love to substitute Keebler buttery garlic club crackers and add a few cloves of garlic!
I love cheese and broccoli! this looks so delicious! this is the perfect dish to cuddle up with on a cold winter evening after a hard days work. Love your blog! I’m now following 🙂
It’s a great comfort side dish. I hope you all try it and enjoy it as much as my family does.
That is one plate I wish I had in front of me, delish looking.
Oooooh, that looks so deliciously good!
nice idea, thanks for sharing...
Comments are closed.