SWEDISH MEATBALLS with BUTTERMILK GRAVY
1 Jumbo egg
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
3 tablespoons minced onions
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pound ground round, double ground
1/2 pound ground pork, double ground
3 tablespoons butter
- Beat egg until smooth.
- Add mashed potatoes, bread crumbs, onion and seasonings, blending until well combined.
- Add beef and pork, using your hands to combine well.
- Roll into 1 inch balls.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Brown meatballs on all sides until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels while preparing the sauce and noodles.
2 tablespoons Wondra flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup beef stock
1 cup buttermilk
- Add the flour and seasonings to the pan drippings, combining well until mixture bubbles.
- Add broth and whisk together well.
- Add buttermilk and blend until smooth.
- Return meatballs to the sauce and simmer 10 minutes or until gravy reaches desired consistency.
- Serve over egg noodles.
These were good. I liked the tang the buttermilk gave them.
Yum, I love Swedish meatballs. It’s been years since I’ve made them. I’ll have to add it to next week’s menu! Thanks for the reminder 🙂
Comments are closed.