I can’t say why this is called caramel chicken, but it doesn’t really matter since I can no longer eat sugar because of my health so anything with the name caramel in the name is A-OK by me 😀 In all honesty I assume it is the rich caramel sauce you start with, but the finished product tastes NOTHING like the caramel sauce you put on ice cream.
Now, while I can’t actually eat sugar, I can prepare it the normal way and then be sure let the sauce drain from my piece of chicken so hubby can still enjoy the REAL thing.
Most of the recipes I’ve seen call for using bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces, but I like to make it with boneless pieces for easier
3/4 cup dry Jasmine rice
1 1/2 cups water
pinch of salt
- Prepare rice per package directions.
- Remove from heat.
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons Fish sauce
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1+1 tablespoons avocado oil
2 tablespoons FRESH minced ginger
1 SMALL shallot, minced
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch green onions, angularly sliced
2 tablespoons torn Basil leaves
- Over medium-high heat, melt sugar 5 minutes or so until the color of iced tea. Keep the pan moving like a jiffy pop popcorn tin 😀
- Whisk together chicken broth and fish sauce.
- Add fish sauce broth to sugar whisking until smooth. BE CAREFUL – SUGAR is REALLY HOT and will spurt AND BUBBLE.
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate skillet add 1 tablespoon avocado oil to heated skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear chicken on ALL sides.
- Remove chicken to plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Add shallots, mushrooms and garlic, cooking until soft.
- Add caramel sauce, stirring to blend.
- Add chicken and turn to coat.
- Add basil leaves.
- Simmer until sauce thickens.
- Serve over prepared rice.
- Garnish with green onions.
This sound interestingly delicious! I would love it it you shared this at our What’s for Dinner party.
The fish sauce in this recipe will sure give it a special flavor, I look forward to trying this recipe! Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing your great post with us at Full Plate Thursday!
LOL hubby saw the fish sauce bottle and didn’t even want to try this, but he finally did and loved it. He thinks fish sauce smells like dirty gym socks 😀 I’ve finally convinced him he needs to wait until the flavors have completely combined before he forms an opinion.
Love finding great new chicken recipes to make. We love all these combinations. Found you on Blogger’s Pit Stop Link Party.
I like chicken and eat a lot of it. So I am always looking for new recipes. This one sounds so good.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did 😀
[…] CARAMEL CHICKEN […]