One of the things we love in the summer is salads. I’m always looking for new recipes, but often I end up with 3 or 4 similar recipes. I always seem to combine the best parts of each recipe together to make a new and improved recipe. 😀
TACO SALAD serves 4
1 pound ground chuck
1 small Vidalia onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
8 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon PACKED brown sugar
- Heat oil in a large skillet until shimmering.
- Add onion and cook until softened.
- Stir in chili powder and garlic, cooking until fragrant.
- Add beef, cooking and breaking it apart until ALMOST cooked through.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, vinegar and brown sugar, simmering until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste.
TACO SHELL BOWLS
4 – 10 inch flour tortillas
Non stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Adjust oven racks to middle.
- Place 4 oven safe soup bowls or balls of aluminum foil on a baking sheet.
- Heat tortillas in microwave a few seconds to make them warm and pliable.
- Generously spray both sides of tortillas with non-stick cooking spray.
- Drape tortillas over bowls or balls of foil.
- Press bottoms flat and loosely pinch sides into pleats to form bowls.
- Bake until tortillas are crispy and golden, about 10-15 minutes.
- COOL COMPLETELY before turning over or filling.
2 romaine hearts, shredded
1/3 cup bean dip
1/2 cup black beans
1 can white shoe peg corn, drained well
2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1 small bunch green onions, thinly sliced
2 limes, juiced
3/4 cup shredded Jack and Cheddar cheeses
1/4 cup chopped cilantro + a bit more for garnish
1 lime, cut into wedges.
- Toss together the lettuce, tomatoes, black beans, corn, green onions and cilantro.
- Generously season salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with lime juice and toss again.
- Place tortilla bowls on plates.
- Divide salad amongst tortilla bowls.
- Top with a spoonful of bean dip.
- Top with a spoonful of meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Garnish with lime wedges and remaining cilantro.
[…] LOVE Mexican food, so this recipe works well into a Mexican themed week. By making Taco Salad, Chili Skillet, Tacos and this Cornbread Tamale pie all back to back I only have to make the meats […]
Don’t know if you can edit my post, I meant to type pining, not lining.
All fixed 😀
That looks so good. I’ve been recovering from dental surgery and stuck on a soft food (and especially not spicy soft foods) diet. And I’ve gotten to the point I’m pining for something like this salad. I will have to make it after the stitches are removed and I can go back to chewing properly.
I hope you feel better soon and can get back to a regular diet. It was so good!! We are doing a serious Summer salad week here because of the extreme heat.