SO WHILE cleaning out the refrigerator the other evening hubby created a BETTER version of this dish. He took a spoonful of SPAM & Taters and covered with with a spoonful of chili, topped it with chopped onions and more cheese and VOILE’ a better recipe is created!
This is not the prettiest of pictures, but I guarantee you that your hubby won’t care what it looks like! Super flavorful and rib sticking casserole dish for race or football day.
SPAM & TATERS
1 pound YUKON potatoes, washed and cubed
1 can spam, cubed
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons WONDRA flour
3/4 cup milk
FRESH ground black pepper.
1 cup shredded EXTRA sharp cheddar cheese
2 thin slices cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly grease a 1 quart baking dish.
- Add spam to hot skillet and cook until browned and crisp.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender.
- Drain potatoes and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl toss spam and potatoes.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Whisk in flour and cook until golden.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thickens to a creamy texture.
- Blend in cheese until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over and gently toss to coat.
- Spread into prepared baking dish and top with cheese slices.
- Bake 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Serve and enjoy!