HERB SALAD with CREAMY BROILED TOMATO CUCUMBER VINAIGRETTE
MAKE THIS STEP 1-2 HOURS BEFORE YOU NEED THEM!
1 teaspoon avocado oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
FRESH ground salt and pepper
1/2 SMALL red onion, cut into rings
- In a medium skillet heat avocado oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion pieces and saute’ for a minute.
- Add vinegar, tossing to coat and remove from heat.
- Transfer onions to a small plate and let stand 1-2 hours.
2 tablespoons FRESH chopped Italian Parsley
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped dill
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped basil leaves
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped tarragon
1 LARGE English cucumber or 2 small cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 bunch beech mushrooms, cleaned and separated
1 small bunch green onions, sliced thin
1 small red onion, chopped
- Toss all together in large salad bowl and set aside until needed.
Reserved cucumber peels
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 small shallot, minced
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon avocado oil
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
pinch cayenne pepper
- In a small food processor blend reserved cucumber peels, garlic, shallot, vinegar, sour cream, buttermilk, oil and seasonings until smooth.
- Pour over salad and toss gently.
- Let stand 15-20 minutes and allow flavors to meld.
- Adjust salt and pepper as necessary.
4 LARGE Roma tomatoes, halved or quartered
- Preheat broiler.
- Place tomatoes on baking sheet skin side down.
- Season well with FRESH ground salt and pepper.
- Broil 2-3 minutes until browned and bubbly.
- Place a large spoonful of salad mixture in bowl or on plate.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette.
- Set 2 broiled tomato pieces next to salad.
- Top with pickled onions.**
- Serve immediately.
NOTE** I often toss the pickled onions with the salad mixture JUST prior to serving.
Leave a reply