I originally posted this recipe years and years ago (2009 or 2010) on my original blog, but seriously, it needed an update picture so I made it specifically for that reason now. 😀 as well as updating the technique a bit. I’m still NOT thrilled with the picture, but it IS better than the old one 😀
SWEET & SOUR CARAMELIZED CHICKEN
4 boneless chicken breasts
1 LARGE sweet Walla Walla or Vidalia onion, halved and sliced thin
2-3 LARGE cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup chicken broth
4 tablespoons WONDRA flour
Juice of 1 lemon (2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons rice wine balsamic vinegar
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 LARGE egg
1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Between 2 sheets of wax paper flatten chicken breasts if they are too thick. If they are too thick they will take longer to cook.
- Whisk together the egg and cornstarch. Soak chicken breasts in mixture for an hour before cooking. This mixture seals in the moistness and keeps the chicken juicy throughout.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a oven proof skillet (or transferring to a baking dish) coat the bottom of the pan with avocado oil.
- Generously season chicken with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- When the oil is hot, brown both sides of the chicken breasts including all the sides.
- When breasts are browned, put the pan in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Add onions to skillet over medium high heat to caramelize. You want to gather all the little browned bits on the bottom of the pan also.
- Reduce the heat to 300°.
- Whisk together the hot water, bullion, flour, lemon juice, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Pour liquid mixture over the chicken and cover tightly with foil.
- Return it to the oven for additional 10 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Sauce will be thick.
NOTE: I have used breast tenders in a pinch and they work well, but they cook faster so keep a close eye on them.
Leave a reply