CLASSIC CLAM CHOWDER
2-10 ounce cans BUMBLE BEE whole baby clams
1-8 ounce bottle clam juice
1 cup white wine
3 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons WONDRA flour
½ LARGE red onion, diced small
2 stalks celery, diced small
8 slices bacon, chopped small
¼ cup chopped Italian leaf Parsley
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
3 LARGE gold potatoes, peeled and diced
1 ½ cups half-and-half
2 green onions, sliced thin
- In a large dutch oven, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add onions, celery and half of Parsley, sauteing until soft.
- Add flour and blend well.
- Strain clams, reserving juice.
- Add clam juices, white wine and chicken stock, blending well.
- Bring to a LOW SLOW boil. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add potatoes and simmer 15-20 minutes until potatoes are fork tender and soup has thickened to desired consistency.
- Add clams.
- Stir in half-and-half, simmering 5-10 minutes until clams are heated through.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Garnish with reserved Parsley, green onions and bacon.
Leave a reply