BACON and HAM GRUYERE QUICHE slightly modified from Alex Guarnaschelli’s Quiche Lorraine
1 stick unsalted butter, cubed and chilled, plus more for greasing the pie plate
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 LARGE egg yolks
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Butter a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- Pulse the flour and salt in a food processor to blend.
- Pulse in the egg yolks and butter. DO NOT OVER MIX
- Add the ice water through the top and pulse until the dough comes together and forms a loose ball.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface.
- Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Roll into a round, about 10 inches in diameter.
- Press the dough gently into the bottom and up and about 1 inch over the sides of the prepared pie plate.
- Pinch the dough up to create a crimped edge.
- Place one sheet of parchment over the dough and fill with pie weights.
- Bake until lightly brown, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Remove the parchment paper and pie weights and let cool.
1/4 to 1/2 pound slab bacon, trimmed and cut into “lardons” (1/4-inch-thick by 1-inch-long matchsticks)
1/2 cup SMALL diced ham chunks
1 shallot, sliced thin
4 LARGE eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 dashes hot sauce
Dash Worcestershire sauce
FRESH ground sea salt and tri-color pepper, to taste
2 cups grated Gruyere or baby Swiss
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
Minced fresh chives, for garnish
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crispy, 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside to drain on paper toweling.
- Toss shallots in cornstarch as a dredge.
- Quick fry the shallots in hot oil or butter, set aside to drain on paper toweling.
- Whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, milk, nutmeg, hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir in the cheeses.
- Place the pie shell on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Scatter three-quarters of the bacon, most of the shallots and all the ham chunks over the shell, then pour the custard over the top.
- Bake until set and brown and bubbly on top, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Garnish with the remaining bacon, shallots and chives.
- Slice and serve.