CAMPFIRE FOILS ~ BEEF, CHICKEN & ROOT VEGGIES
4 tablespoons butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon FRESH, FINELY chopped tarragon
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 cup baby carrots, halved
1 LARGE sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
3-4 beets, peeled and chopped
3-4 red potatoes, cut into large chunks
1 lemon, THINLY sliced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders
1/2 pound grilled medium rare flank steak, rested and cut into bite sized chunks
1/4 pound salt pork, diced (or substitute 4 slices thick bacon)
- Preheat oven to 375° or grill to medium heat.
- In a small skillet rendered salt pork or bacon until ALMOST crisp.
- Add butter, tarragon, garlic, salt and pepper in a small saucepan and simmer until melted and well blended.
- Toss veggies and lemon slices with the melted butter mixture. Drain veggies, reserving butter mixture.**see note
- Arrange 4 large (12×16 or so) pieces of foil on the counter top.
- Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide veggies evenly among the foil pieces.
- Toss chicken tenders with the drained butter and arrange evenly on top of veggies.
- Drizzle any remaining butter on top of each packet.
- Bring the edges of the foil up, folding a couple times to seal, but leaving air space.
- Bake or grill 50 minutes until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
NOTE: If you would like to prepare this in advance as I have many times, cut the chicken tenders into thirds. Then toss to coat well all the meats and veggies with the butter mixture in a large mixing bowl. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to prepare foil packets.