I adapted this recipe from a postcard I picked up at a farmer’s market. The original recipe called for their Jalapeno wine which is super expensive and only available by mail since I was traveling and a day and a half from home, hence the adaptation. 😀
The recipe originally called for using the grill, but I also adapted it to the oven and we’re quite happy with it.
SPIKED LEMONADE CHICKEN
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
12 ounce frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
4 ounce can chopped green chilies, DRAINED juice reserved
12 ounces crisp white wine
8-10 strips bacon
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
- Combine the thawed lemonade concentrate, wine and juice from green chilies in a large ziploc bag.
- Add chicken pieces and turn to coat. Marinate 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large skillet cook bacon 3-5 minutes to render off most of the fat, but so that bacon slices are still soft and pliable. Cool several minutes until cool to the touch.
- Line baking pan with silicone mat or foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Drain off marinade.
- Lay chicken pieces out and generously season with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Arrange shredded cheese and green chilies evenly on chicken breasts.
- Fold close and wrap each chicken breast tightly with 2 pieces of bacon and secure closed with toothpicks.
- Arrange chicken pieces on baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and bacon is crisp.
- Remove from oven and cover with foil to rest for 8-10 minutes.