BEER BRAISED CHUCK ROAST with GLAZED RED ONIONS
2 tablespoons butter
2 LARGE red onions, sliced thick
3 pound chuck roast (marbled with plenty of fat)
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper (at least 1 teaspoon per pound as a general rule)
12 ounces AMBERBOCK beer
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Melt butter in large enameled cast iron pot.
- Add onions and saute 2-3 minutes.
- GENEROUSLY season roast on both sides.
- Add roast to pot on top of onions.
- Pour the beer around the roast making sure not to wash the salt and pepper off the top of the roast.
- Cover with lid.
- Place in oven for 5 hours undisturbed except to check periodically to make sure you still have liquid. If too much has evaporated add beef bone broth as necessary. Your goal is to have 2 cups of braising liquid when the roast is done.